I’ve never been one for those peel-off face masks you get at drugstores, but when a face mask is vegan, healthy and natural, I’m the most avid fan!
These 3 face masks are really simple to make, each using only 2 common household ingredients. Also, they each provide different, yet equally fantastic benefits. Feel free to add essential oils to any of these face masks to give them even more benefits.
I had a lot of fun making these babies. And I took great pleasure in making my partner try them out with me! (Despite him being the opposite of a beauty fanatic, he agreed to be my little test partner.)
Youthful strawberry and banana face mask
Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, which is great at fighting oily skin. Strawberries are also anti-aging since they contain an antioxidant which helps to prevent the breakdown of collagen, which means fewer wrinkles! A final benefit of strawberries is that the acidity of them helps to remove excess oil from your skin, which will help reduce acne and can even help reduce the appearance of acne scars.
Bananas are rich in potassium, which draws out excess fluid from under the eyes and reduces puffiness. They also tighten pores, revitalise your skin and give you a more youthful glow.
- 2 strawberries
- quarter a small banana
- Mash the strawberries and banana together in a bowl (or blend if you’re not too lazy to do the washing up like me).
- Apply to your face, leave for 10-30 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
Exfoliating sugar face mask
The sugar granules help to remove dead skin cells, leaving you with irresistibly soft and smooth skin. Olive oil contains plenty of vitamin E, which can help repair and protect your skin. Also, the olive oil naturally hydrates your skin.
I used coconut sugar because that’s all I had, but any sugar will do. The finer the grains, the gentler this exfoliant will be on your skin.
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Stir together the sugar and oil.
- Apply to your face using gentle circular motions for about 1-2 minutes.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with a face cloth using gentle circular motions.
Moisturising avocado and coconut face mask
This face mask is particularly good for dry skin since, the avocado and coconut are incredibly moisturising, leaving your skin silky soft. Also, coconut oil’s medium chain fatty acids are believed to have medicinal properties so they’ll help heal any cuts or abrasions you have faster. This combination also works great as a conditioner.
- Quarter an avocado
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- You know the drill: mash the coconut oil and avocado together in a bowl (or even in the skin of the avocado, as above).
- Apply generously to your skin and/or hair.
- Leave for about 10-30 minutes to let the magic happen and then wash off with warm water.
Do you have any neat beauty hacks for fabulous skin? I’d love to hear! xo