This outrageously indulgent, rich and creamy ice-cream is perfect for dipping strawberries or spreading on sliced banana with a bit of peanut butter. It’s not your traditional homemade, vegan ice-cream since it’s banana-free (and a little bit unhealthier). But it’s just as, if not more delicious!
I think of this recipe as the lazy person’s version of whipped cream since the only washing up needed is a spoon and bowl! And so, this can easily be adapted to make whipped cream, by using a whisk, adding vanilla rather than chocolate and mint, and popping it in the fridge rather than the freezer.
Just a little side note: eat in moderation to avoid piling on the pounds, if you can resist, that is!
- 400ml can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Scoop off the coconut cream that’s at the top of the can into a bowl. Save the liquid part for later use, such as in smoothies.
- Mix together the coconut cream, cacao, maple syrup and peppermint extract.
- Pop in the freezer for about half an hour.
- Serve with your favourite fruit or dessert.
I’d recommend about a tablespoon as a portion, since it’s incredibly rich (and fattening).
Note: Make sure you use full-fat coconut milk, otherwise you won’t get the thick, creamy coconut layer on top!
Each tablespoon approximately contains:
- Calories: 79 kcal
- Fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Protein: 0.4g