Since I didn’t use tofu in the pie from Tuesday’s post as was originally planned, I decided to make a quiche with it. I’ve shared a tofu quiche before on my blog, but I cheated with this one by using pre-made pastry and, for a different filling, I used an array of peppers.
I’m pretty poor at cooking with pastry as I never really know how thin to roll it out or how long to cook it for without overcooking the pastry or undercooking the filling. The pastry did turn out pretty thin, so feel free to use a bit more pastry if you want a decent amount!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- oil, for greasing
- 150g puff pastry
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 400g tofu, drained and pressed
- 20g nutritional yeast
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C / 400˚F / gas mark 6. Lightly oil an 8″ circular pie dish.
- Roll out your pastry to fit your dish. Then place the pastry into your dish and lightly stab all over with a fork, being careful not to pierce through the pastry.
- Cook in the oven for 5 minutes to partially cook.
- In a cup or small bowl, stir together the gram flour with 2 tablespoons of water until dissolved.
- Add the tofu, nutritional yeast and gram flour mixture to a food processor and blitz for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Stir in the peppers until well combined. Season with a few grinds of salt and pepper (or more to taste).
- Spoon the tofu mixture into your pie dish and spread out until level.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the edges are golden.
Each slice approximately contains
- Calories: 215 kcal
- Fat: 10.8g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2g
- Protein: 13.1g