These turned out so good. They’re delicious and pack quite a bit of protein. The whole family loved them and are eager for me to make some more. I kept the leftover meatballs in the fridge for two days, so it’s safe to make a larger batch as they will keep if not eaten immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
For the meatballs:
- ½ 400g can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small onion
- handful basil leaves
- handful parsley leaves
- 75g bread
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp oil
For the tomato sauce:
- 160g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook your spaghetti according to the packet’s instructions.
- Place the bread in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds until breadcrumbs form. Add the rest of the ingredients for the meatballs except for the oil and blitz for about 30 seconds to form a pâté.
- Tip out onto a work surface, divide into 10 roughly equal-sized pieces, and roll into balls.
- Heat an oiled saucepan over medium heat, add the meatballs and fry for 5 minutes, turning often to make the outside evenly crisp.
- Add all the ingredients for the tomato sauce to the saucepan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the pasta, add to a bowl, spoon on the meatballs and tomato sauce, and then serve.
Calories: 291 kcal