Welcome to day two of productivity week! Today I’m going to talk about the 80/20 rule and how it can change your life!
The 80/20 rule (or Pareto Principle) was first suggested by an Italian economist, Wilfredo Pareto, in 1895. He noticed that 80% of Italy’s land, wealth and influence was controlled by 20% of its population. Later, Joseph Juran continued Pareto’s research and discovered that most results were determined by a select few causes.
This principle says that 20% of your activities for a certain event produce 80% of your results. As an example, (roughly) 20% of your blog posts will account for (roughly) 80% of new readers. These percentages may differ, for example it could be 95/5, but, the idea is that certain activities will produce the majority of your outputs. What’s more, this rule can be applied to almost any aspect of your life from social to finance to health to knowledge…you name it!
Let’s carry on with the blog example, since that should relate to the majority of you! Let’s say that you focus on 10 ways to gain new readers for your blog:
- posting very often
- posting at the right time of day/peak time
- posting quality, interesting content
- sharing your blog with your friends and family
- promoting your blog on social media
- following and interacting with other bloggers in the same niche as you
- checking and updating your blog’s content and appearance every now and then
- encouraging your readers to share your posts
- collaborating with other bloggers
- using relevant hashtags but not too many (less than 15 otherwise your post may not show up in Reader. WordPress does this to eliminate potential spam posts.)
Then, following this principle, 1 or 2 of these tasks will be the most effective in gaining you new readers. For me, those two things would be:
- posting quality, interesting content, and
- following and interacting with other bloggers
Collaborating is probably one of the best ways to gain new readers, (but since I haven’t collabed before I couldn’t include that for what works for me).
And so, the best way to gain new readers would be to focus only on the top 1 or 2 activities.
As I said earlier, this rule can be applied to almost any aspect of your life, so find the top couple of activities that bring you the majority of your results and then become a pro at everything you do!