Ever since I watched the movie ratatouille I’ve been dying to try that dish. And 10 years later I’ve finally gotten round to making and trying it! I wanted to make this with a roasted butternut squash sauce. But, since that’d be a bit boring on its own, I decided to throw in some carrots and lentils too. The sauce is heavenly on it’s own, so if you’re feeling too lazy to cut up the extra veg, just have the sauce by itself as a lovely soup.
To give the ratatouille that Pinterest look, use veggies that are similar in size. The aubergines I used were a lot bigger than my other veg. But, at the end of the day, how it tastes is much more important than how it looks!
The ingredients for the sauce make about 4 cups, so feel free to half it if it’s too much for you.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
For the sauce:
- 1/2 butternut squash, deseeded and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tbsp oil (optional)
- 120g uncooked lentils, rinsed
- 400ml water
- salt and pepper
For the ratatouille:
- 1 medium courgette, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small aubergines, sliced
- handful of parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Once the butternut squash and carrots have been prepared, place on a baking sheet and then drizzle over some oil, if desired.
- Roast the squash and carrots for 30-35 minutes until soft, turning half way.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan 3/4 full with boiling water. Add the lentils and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Once the veg has roasted, leave to cool for about 15 minutes. Then, peel off the squash’s skin. Place the squash, carrots and lentils in a blender with 400ml water. Blend until smooth and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce in a large casserole dish. Arrange the courgette, tomato and aubergine in the dish to make whichever design you like the best. Sprinkle over the parsley leaves.
- Place the lid on the dish and place in the oven for about an hour.
- Serve with extra parsley.
Each serving approximately contains:
- Calories: 214 kcal
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9g
- Protein: 8.7g