Pistachios in tomato sauce–sound weird? Perhaps, but trust me, it tastes amazing! I have no idea which clogs were turning in my brain when I thought of this but, oh boy, am I glad I did. It adds a whole new level to your basic tomato sauce: a delicious flavour, and unusual yet great texture. If you really want to spice things up, sprinkle some extra crushed pistachios on top of your sauce. Whether you’re having it on pasta or pizza or something else–it tastes incredible.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 5g basil, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 30g pistachios
- Heat an oiled frying pan over medium heat. Then sauté the onion for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes and tomato purée and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the shredded basil leaves and salt and pepper to taste and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a pestal and mortar or food processor, grind up the pistachios until they look like breadcrumbs.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the pistachios.
- Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for up to one week.
Each tablespoon approximately contains:
- Calories: 32 kcal
- Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 2.9g
- Protein: 1.1g