All credit goes to my amazing Mum who came up with this recipe!
This tastes great spread on toast or a sandwich. It also works really well mixed in with pasta or just served as a side. The lentils provide you with a major protein boost, so this mash is a fantastic option to have when you want to get that little bit extra protein in your meal.
- 120g red split lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 80g mushrooms, diced
- 80g cauliflower, diced
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pan 3/4 full with boiling water. Add the lentils and simmer for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, add the sweet potato and simmer for a further 12 minutes
- Once the lentils and sweet potato are almost cooked, heat an oiled frying pan and add the onions, mushrooms and cauliflower. Sauté for 5 minutes until cooked.
- Drain the lentils and sweet potato once they have cooked and then return to the pan. Mash the sweet potato and then stir in the sautéd veggies.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and then serve.
Each tablespoon approximately contains:
- Calories: 36kcal
- Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6g
- Protein: 1.9g