These rice burgers are inspired by onigiri (rice balls). They use the same rice but have filling throughout the burger, not just in the middle to make them full of flavour. They taste great served with a salad or in a burger bun; they’re burgers, after all! I hope I’m not the only one who enjoys rice in sandwiches. Perhaps I should’t keep bringing up my love of basically anything in a sandwich, ’cause you guys might think I’m weird!
I would say about three of these bad boys are a portion, since I was pretty full after my meal:
Serves: 12 burgers
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 300g sushi (Japanese) rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 320g mushrooms, diced
- 160g kale, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cook the sushi rice according to the packet’s instructions.
- Once the rice is almost ready, heat an oiled frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms and kale for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir the cooked mushrooms and kale into the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- With slightly wet hands, shape the rice into burgers about 2.5″ in diameter and then serve.
Each burger approximately contains:
- Calories: 108 kcal
- Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
I made these with my partner and he put mushrooms and peppers in his burger. He was too lazy to divide his portion into three burgers so he just had one big one: