I’ve been really into incorporating peas into my meals lately. They’re a great source of vitamin B1 and B3. Not to mention, they have plenty of protein and fibre in them. And, of course, I just love their taste.
Nothing beats eating peas straight out the pod, but this rice bowl is a close second.
I just love the soft texture the pine nuts bring to this meal and the lovely tang the lemon juice adds to every bite.
- 75g brown rice
- 80g peas, fresh or frozen
- handful of lettuce
- 30g pine nuts
- rind of 1/2 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pour 500ml boiling water into a pan. Add the rice, stir once and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, pour 200ml boiling water into another pan and cook the peas for 4 minutes (if using frozen peas), then drain.
- Layer the lettuce on the base of a bowl.
- When the rice has finished cooking, drain and return to its pan. Stir in the peas, pine nuts, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Add the rice on top of the lettuce and serve.
Each serving approximately contains:
- Calories: 354 kcal
- Fat: 21.8g
- Carbohydrates: 24.4g
- Protein: 10.8g
Cashews also taste great in this dish as a cheaper alternative to the pine nuts.