Making your own toothpaste is so fun and rewarding.
There are wonderful benefits of using a homemade toothpaste, including:
- Natural and safe. Many conventional toothpastes contain the controversial ingredient fluoride, which is toxic if swallowed. Triclosan is another ingredient in conventional toothpaste that may cause more damage than good; it has been linked to antibiotic resistance as well as cancer. On the other hand, homemade toothpaste doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients!
- Effective against harmful bacteria. Coconut oil can kill harmful bacteria in your mouth, which helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Teeth whitener. Baking soda is mildly abrasive, which helps remove plaque and clean the teeth. Also, it removes stains from the surface of your teeth, which makes them appear whiter.
So why not give it a go?
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Mix together the coconut oil, bicarbonate of soda and essential oil.
- Store in a small, airtight jar.
To use, scoop up a small amount with your toothbrush.